> DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 2ND – 5PM
The MTL 24/24 Night Council is a consultative body for Montreal nightlife, composed of 12 citizens of Montreal who are committed to the dynamic and public-spirited development of its nighttime. The Night Council undertakes initiatives, presents opinions and gathers input on subjects that affect the many spheres of Montreal’s nightlife. Its work is part of a desire to democratize, promote and legitimize the city’s nightlife.
The Night Council is a consultative table created by MTL 24/24. It is aimed at Montreal’s public decision-making bodies (specifically the municipal administration) as well as all stakeholders in Montreal’s nightlife.
The mission and function of the Night Council is to:
- To provide advice on all matters relating to the concerns of Montreal’s night owls and to suggest recommendations in this regard;
- To solicit opinions, listen to and receive representations from any person or group regarding issues affecting nightlife users;
- Develop perspectives considered useful and necessary for the dynamic and benevolent development of Montreal’s nightlife.
It is important to note that the Night Council is not a decision-making body; rather, it functions as a board of directors. The opinions and recommendations resulting from its work have no executive value. The activities of the Night Council are conducted in French.
How and Why to Become a Member of the Night Council
Benefits of involvement
Being a member of the Night Council means:
- A unique opportunity to learn about the democratic life of citizens;
- An opportunity to put one’s experience and/or expertise to good use for the Montreal nightlife community;
- The possibility to develop new skills and knowledge and to expand one’s network.
- Reside in Montreal; have at heart the dynamic and benevolent development of Montreal’s nightlife;
- Have an interest and experience and/or expertise in Montreal’s cultural and economic nightlife activities;
- Be available to participate in the activities of the Conseil de Nuit.
The call for applications for the 2023-2024 cohort runs from January 12 through February 2, 2023 at 5:00 pm. The Night Council meets once a month at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesdays of the first week of each month, except June, July, August, and December.
Serving on the Night Council generally requires an average of 5-10 hours per month, depending on the time period. It requires the ability to work as a team, interact in a caring manner, and act in the interest of the Night Council rather than one’s own personal interest. Service on the Council is voluntary and should be an enjoyable experience that leads to personal and professional development.
Citizens wishing to apply must carefully read the operating guide and submit a 500-word cover letter detailing their reasons for wanting to join the Council as well as an up-to-date resume by February 2 at 5:00 pm.